Winter Vegetables Lasagne
Lasagne choke full with winter vegetables and a not so rich cheese sauce. I partnered with Clover dairy and used their Clover organic milk for the bechemal sauce. Perfect on a cold day when you want to indulge yet something light and nutritious.
- You will need
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2′ medium carrots finely chopped
- 400 grams diced butternut squash
- 250 grams cremini mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 4 cups organic baby kale or spinach
- 250 grams about 1 medium head broccoli florets chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed Italian herbs ( oregano, thyme, Basil)
- Generous pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour + 1 teaspoon butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 8-10 sheets of Lasagne fresh or dried
- 3 cups Clover organic milk Any fat %, I used 1% milk
- 50 gms grated smoked mozzarella
- 50 grams grated fontina
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Here’s how
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Lightly grease a 8-9 inch rectangular baking dish. Prep all your veggies.
- If using dried Lasagne sheets, boil them 1/2 the recommended time and finish in the oven later. If using fresh , you don’t need to boil just cut them into sheets to fit the dish.
- Steam the butternut squash till fork tender.
- Warm oil in a pan. Add onion, carrots and cook till slightly soft. Add mushrooms, squash and broccoli. Cook further for another 2 minutes. Add half the sage, salt, pepper, and mixed herbs. Set aside.
- In a separate pan warm the butter. Add the flour, using a whisk slowly add the milk and constantly whisking to prevent lumps. Gently bring it to a boil whisking as it thickens. Add nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Take it off the heat add the grated cheeses.
- Dip the sheet in cheese sauce and layer the bottom of the dish. Spoon the vegetable mixture on top, but don’t cover every inch. (See photos). Layer two more times till vegetables and sauce are used up.
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes for the sheets to absorb the sauce. When ready place in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes till heated through, cooked, brown and bubbly on the top. Serve with salad or by itself.
Serves 4-6 depending on appetites.