This is a vegetarian version of the famous Paella Valencia, a delicious alternative to the meat and seafood paella. This vegetarian version is just as satisfying, tasty, full of flavor. To amp the flavor vegetables have been grilled to add extra smokiness and give depth to its flavors.
- 3-4 cups low sodium vegetable stock ( this will depend on the quality and age of rice)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 fat cloves garlic minced
- 1 generous teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup peas
- 1 1/2 cups wholegrain Bomba or Arborio rice
A handful of cremini mushrooms
1/2 each yellow pepper sliced, red bell pepper, sliced
4-5 small carrots
Handful of asparagus 10-12 or green beans
- Serve with
- 1 medium lemons quartered
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ,marinated artichokes and a few olives
- Warm a skillet or a grill pan. Add a teaspoon of olive oil and grill the vegetables till grill marks appear and slightly tender.
Place the veggie stock and saffron threads in a pot and heat to a simmer.
Heat a paella pan over medium heat. If you don’t own on a a skillet or sauté pan will work. Add the olive oil, onion, garlic. Cook for 5 minutes until soft but not brown. Add the diced tomatoes, paprika and cook further for 2 minutes until soft and pulpy.
Add the rice, peas and cook for a minute while stirring to coat the flavored oil mixture. Add the simmering broth, stir and bring to a gentle boil. Taste the broth and add season as needed. Do not stir once the liquid is simmering. Cook the rice uncovered for 10 minutes. Then add the roasted veggies, cover the pan with aluminum foil or a tightly fiddled lid and simmer for another 15 minutes till the rice is cooked. Take it off the heat off and let the rice rest for 5 minutes. Serve directly from the pan with sliced lemon wedges