I have become a bit obsessed with hasselbacking vegetables. They look beautiful don’t they’. I feel it makes the veggies taste better too because of more surface area to crisp up and soak in all the flavor.
The classic eggplant Parmesan is traditionally breaded, deep fried then served a tomato based sauce. This recipe skips the breaking-fried process. Simply slice the eggplant 3/4 ways, gently stuff the crevices with cheese and herbs, then bake in the rich tomato sauce.
This dish makes an elegant vegetarian center piecefor a dinner party. Also great as a side dish to compliment a meat dinner.
I worked with Dorot to bring you this recipe.
” Dorot start by growing their our own garlic, basil, cilantro, parsley, chili and ginger. At peak freshness, they harvest their produce from the fields, process and flash freeze into convenient trays within 90 minutes of harvest. With a two-year shelf life, you can have fresh Garlic, Onions and Herbs year round with the simple “pop” of the tray.”
I found mine at my local Traders Joe grocery store here in California in the frozen food aisle. To find the availability in your U.S store go to their site here -> Dorot <- and find your local store
Serves 2 as a main meal or 4-6 as a side vegetable
- 2 small Italian eggplant or 1 medium sized eggplant. Look for ones a little heavy for their size, firm, shiny and bright green top
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 zucchini finely chopped
- 3 Dorot garlic pods
- 1 28ozmcan chopped tomatoes ( San Marzano is best)
- 1 tbsp’mixed dried Italian herbs ( Basil, oregano, thyme)
- 1pod Dorot Basil plus a few fresh leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sauce and extra for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
- 1 mozzarella ball or vegan mozzarella
- Parmesan regular or vegan
- WhaPreheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium sauce pot, heat a little olive oil, add in the chopped onion, grated carrot and chopped zucchini and fry on medium heat for at least 5 mins
- Drop 3 pods of the garlic and mix well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and herbs.
- Cook down for around 5 minutes, then season to taste with salt, pepper.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes
- In the meantime, slice the aubergine almost 3/4 ways through, you can do this fail proof by setting the eggplant between 2 chopsticks. Thinly slice the mozzarella, freeze the ball for 30 minutes before cutting it helps a lot.
- Pulse the tomato for an even consistency, not too smooth though.m
- Pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of a casserole dish (large enough to fit in 2 eggplants)
- Place the aubergine in gently, and season with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper
- Roughly chop some basil leaves and place a little in each aubergine segment.
- Place one slice of mozzarella between segment.
- Sprinkle with a little Parmesan and another drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes covered. Then remove the cover and broil for 10 minutes till cheese has melted, eggplant is soft with a few brown spots.
- Serve as a side to a pasta meal or with crusty Italian bread as a main meal.