Limeade and lemonade are very popular non alcoholic drinks in India. Nimbu pani as it’s called in, is always a welcome beverage served to guests and also had to cool off during the brutally hot months. Lemonade in India is not as sweet like in the west. Indian lemonade is salty spiced with cardamom and sometimes ginger.
Another beverage that’s very popular is lychee juice or drink. Here is a delicious and cooling lychee limeade that will surely cool you for those hot summer months.
- 1 box About 25-30 fresh lychee
- Juice of one fat lime that you yeild 1/4 cup juice
- 1 1/2 – 2 tsp. Maple sugar optional, I skipped because the lychees were sweet enough.
- 2 cups iced, purified water
- Lime wedges and ginger slices for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground green cardamom ( optional though highly recommended)
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice, grated on a micro plane to extract juice, about a thumb sized
- ice cubes
Start by washing and peeling the lychees. Then remove the seed.
Place lychee flesh in a high speed blender, cover and blend on high speed until smooth.
Add lemon juice, maple syrup or sweetener of your choice, cardamom, ginger juice,water and blend until thoroughly combined.
If you do not like the pulp, strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve.
Serve in a pitcher and glasses topped with ice cubes. Enjoy!