I made this cake after the popularity of my Berry Tart over here. Though this is a baked proper chocolate cake with a surprise ingredient “chilli”. Chocolate and chilies have an amazing affinity, you see the best examples in Mexican cuisine. Chilli enhances the depth of chocolate giving a warm feeling right before you swallow the cake. Trust me you want to try it even if it’s just a little.
The topping for this cake is juicy summer strawberries that complement the chocolate really well. I used agar agar to thicken the topping. The chillies in the garnish are just for decor not to be eaten, I thought they look beautiful don’t you think.
And yes the Pepto bismol pink was unexpected. Oh well!! I can assure you it’s very delicious though.
4 oz about 3/4 cup avocado or any neutral oil
3/4 cup unprocessed coconut or dark sugar
1/4-1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
1tablespoon tequila (optional)
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
2 eggs at room temp or chia eggs
1 cup (150gms), plain cake flour sifted
¼ cup pure cacao powder sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup plant yogurt or regular yogurt
350-400 grams strawberries hulled and washed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2’teaspoon agar agar
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Place the oil, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 10–12 minutes. Gradually add the eggs and beat well, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, chilli, baking powder, yogurt and beat until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 9 inch springform cake pan lined with non-stick baking paper and cook for 40–50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Cool completely before adding the topping.
For the topping
- Purée the strawberries with vanilla in a food processor. Take about 1/3 of the purée in a small sauce pan add a little water and the agar agar.
- Heat while you whisk till it come to a boil and the agar agar has completely dissolved. Pour it back to the purée and give it one one pulse.
- Pour this over the cake and place it in the fridge. Cool completely for 4 hours before serving.
- Makes about 10 slices