Recently I discovered agar. A google search describes agar as a jelly like substance derived from algae, polysaccharide agarose, which forms the supporting structure in the cell walls of certain species of algae, and which is released on boiling~ Wikipedia!
Agar is great For geletanizing liquids, plant based and bland, can take on any flavor it’s added to.
This tart is inspired from my trip to Morocco earlier this year. Every dessert we tried on our trip after our daily dose of tagine was made with the most aromatic spices, flower extract and honey. So I thought it would be perfect to infuse these aromatics into this lovely tart.
Rose, cardamom, orange blossoms infuse this dessert with beautiful floral flavors and will take transport you to the souks of Marrekesch.
Pistachios Rośe Yogurt Tart with Orange Blossom Water
- 1 lb (16 oz ) tub plant based unsweetened plain yogurt or full fat Greek style yogurt (I like Forager cashew yogurt) not sponsored just love the clean taste and texture, available at Wholefoods
- 3 tablespoons coconut cream
- 1/4 cup plant milk
- 2-3 tablespoons orange blossom water ( use as little or much as your prefer)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or any floral honey
- 1/2-1 teaspoon agar agar
- rose petals, chopped pistachios and berries for garnish
For the crust
- 1-1/4 cup shelled pistachios nuts
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats, lightly toasted to take the raw taste off.
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup add more (if you like it sweeter)
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- In a large food processor blend Oats till coarsely ground. Now add pistachios nuts and blend further till you get a coarse flour. Add cardamom, oil, maple syrup, and salt. Pulse a few times till everything comes together to form a dough.
- transfer the dough into a 7-8 inch Tart pan. Press it down evenly and above the sides.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Using a whisk mix yogurt, coconut cream, maple syrup and orange blossom water till smooth and well incorporated.
- Meanwhile heat milk in a small sauce pan. Sprinkle agar agar and whisk till completely dissolved about 2 minutes.
- Pour it into the yogurt mixture and mix till well incorporated and smooth. Pour it into the Tart.
- Smooth the surface and leave it to set for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator. Garnish with pistachios, culinary grade rose petals, and berries or pomegranate arils.