This soup finds its roots in Nortern Thailand, Mayamnar and Laos. Traditionally made with chicken, but we are having it Vegetarian with tofu and vegetables. I occasional don’t mind a little fish sauce flavoring when it lends to the umami and changes the flavor of the dish completely, this soup however is made completely vegan by simply omitting fish sauce and steeping a teaspoon of kombu seaweed plus soy sauce in the broth.
This soup is a complete meal as it has noodles, protein, vegetables. It’s loaded with tons of flavor and is perfectly balanced. The addition of turmeric, ginger, lime juice and rich veggie broth also makes it a bit medicinal. I like it a bit spicy to balance the creamy coconut milk and bland noodles. If you prefer it milder skip the chilli paste/ oil at the end and you can always reduce the amount of red curry paste.
serves 2-3 meal size
Khao Soi Paste
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 small shallot
- 1-1/2 heaped tablespoon Thai red curry paste (store bought or homemade)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 -14-oz. cans unsweetened light or regular organic coconut milk
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 8 oz box organic firm tofu or protein of your choice
- 2 cups vegetables like broccoli, snow peas, cauliflower, carrots, shiitake, steamed or blanched till tender and set aside.
- 8 oz rice vermicelli or wheat/ noodles
- 1 tablespoon good quality soy sauce or good quality 3 tablespoons fish sauce (red boat)
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon seaweed like kombu, placed in a tea steeping ball
- Kosher sea salt
- black pepper
Sliced red onion, mint leaves, bean sprouts, cilantro sprigs, crispy fried onions or shallots, chili oil, and lime wedges for toppings
Khao Soi Paste
- Purée shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry powder, red Thai curry paste in a food processor,( add more water or veggie liquid by tablespoonfuls) until smooth.
- Heat a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add khao soi paste; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly brown.
- Add (seaweed placed in a strainer if you want it vegetarian or vegan) coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil; add the tofu. Reduce heat and simmer for 10minutes. Pull the seaweed out and discard.
- Meanwhile cook noodles according to package directions.
- Add soy sauce or 3 Tbsp. fish sauce, and sugar to soup. Season with salt or more fish sauce, if needed. Divide soup and steamed vegetables, noodles among bowls and serve with toppings.