I I think winter has the most intense colored fruit and vegetables. Emerald greens, bright citeuses, jeweled pomegranates, brilliant shades of chicories, sweet potatoes, radishes and turnips. I guess it’s natures way of saying eat them to protect yourself from the cold, flu season and stay healthy. .
This salad does just that. It’s packed with delicious massaged curly kale, juicy sweet blood orange, creamy avocado, for a little crunch I threw in Some cucumber slices and handful of sliced almonds. The dressing has immune boosting ginger, turmeric, creamy nutty tahini and a splash of lemon juice to brighten the salad.
I massage the washed kale leaves with half the dressing to soften the leaves, this also makes them more digestible.
Heres the recipes:
- 1 large bunch organic curly kale or lacinato kale middle rib removed, leaves washed, patted dry, chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 oranges, choose citruses like blood, Cara Cara, Navel, tangelo, grapefruit or Valencia, peeled and sliced
- 2 Persian cucumber, sliced
- 1 large ripe but firm avocado sliced
- handful of toasted almonds
- For the dressing
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2-3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 inches ginger finely minced or puréed
In a food processor run all the ingredients of the dressing. Add more orange juice if needed to thin out. Set aside.
Add the chopped kale leaves to a bowl. Add 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing and massage the leaves with scrunching them with your hands. Let the leaves sit for a few minutes. This will help them to soften and reduce in volume.
Transfer the ingredients to a serving bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and top with extra dressing as needed. Eat right away.
Makes 4-6 servings as a side