The winter this year was particularly warm. With temperatures like 75F in early Feb the flu season started early and stronger. This immune boosting smoothie has all the powerful nutrients to keep the sniffles at bay, and leave you feeling energized. Substitute any colored carrots, beets or oranges, I’ve shown both and both taste just as good.
- 1-2 inch piece ginger, scrubbed, I don’t peel to retain the nutrients under the skin
- 1 small red or golden beet, scrubbed and washed, raw or cooked, I used raw ( Vitamin C, Potassium, Magnesium, Folates, B Vitamins, fiber)
- 2 small-medium purple or regular carrots, scrubber and chopped( VitAmin A+ anthocyanins)
- 1-2 medium blood orange or regular (Navel, Valencia, Cara Cara), peeled, leave the white pith for extra fiber (vitamin C, fiber)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric (fat and black pepper should be added for maximum bioavailability)
- 1 teaspoon cold pressed virgin, raw, flaxseed oil ( omega3s) or 2 tablespoons brazilnuts (selenium) or use half of both
- pinch of black pepper
- juice from 1/2 lemon or lime (Vit C)
- seeds for garnish, chia, hemp, sunflower ( Vitamin E, fiber, protein, healthy fats, omegas 3s)
Blend all the ingredients in a high speed blender except the seeds till smooth. Garnish with seeds and serve right away.