I eat a porridge every morning! The minute trees start to change color early – late September all the way till they turn green in March I eat a bowl of warm porridge practically everyday. Oat, buckwheat, quinoa, whole grain rice, no matter what.
Porridge doesn’t have to be bland and boring, it can be made flavorful, fruity, exciting and zesty with seasonal fruit, different flavors like cacoa, matcha, freeze-dried fruit powders, nut,seeds their butters, herbs and spices all tasty and healthy. Cooked or soaked overnight they are all delicious. For me it’s a no brainer breakfast, easily put together weekday morning when everyone is rushed to get somewhere. Here is one that is not sweet. But delicious and nutritious in every way. Give it a try.
Savory vegetable oatmeal porridge
- 3 cups veggie broth or water or combination
- 1 cup quick cooking or steel-cut, whatever you normally make, also adjust the liquid accordingly
- 2 medium tomatoes or a handful of baby tomatoes
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts chopped
- 6 oz trimmed Tuscan kale or baby spinach
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 2 oz Vegan cheese/ feta or parmesan
- A few pitted olives
- In a sauce pan bring broth, salt, oats and chopped scallions to a boil. Add chopped kale, tomatoes simmer till thick and porridge is ready. Stir in the cheese and pepper. Serve warm with olives. Makes about 2 servings,