Chia is a delicious seed with lots of nutritional benefits. Loaded with heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids, protein, calcium and good dose soluble and insoluble fiber, its worth incorporating it in your daily diet. Chia is a very thirsty seed and can absorb liquid 3-4 times its weight.. Once the liquid is absorbed it turns to a delicious, creamy pudding like consistency. Soak it with juice, water or plant milk and you will have a healthy delicious drink or dessert.
For this recipe I added Matcha green tea with plant milk. Matcha is a superb antioxidant green tea with a mild grassy flavor and goes very well with chia.
Makes about 4-5 servings
- 4-5 tbsps chia seeds
- 3 cups plant or cow’s milk
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, more if you like it sweeter
- 1-2 tablespoon good quality matcha tea powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut cream for garnish (optional)
- berries,chopped fruit and nuts for garnish
- In a large lidded jar place the milk and matcha tea. Whisk the tea vigorously with tea whisk or use a blender. Make sure the tea is completely blended.
- Stir the maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
- Mix the chia seeds. Mix the seeds very well: whisk vigorously with a fork for about 1-2 minutes till the seeds are evenly distributed and no more clumps can be seen. You can tightly secure the lid and shake the jar.
- Place it in the refrigerator overnight. I like to give it a shake or stir every time I open the fridge door, so the seeds don’t settle at the bottom.
- Serve chilled in small bowls topped with berries and nuts.