This Indian-Latin fusion dinner is full of bold flavors with zesty chimmichuri sauce, smoky spiced grilled tofu and vegetables. Perfect for indoor grilling and enjoying some sunshine on your plate when it’s freezing outdoors.
Tofu Tikka with Chimmichuri Rice
serves about 4 portions + I had a little leftover
- For the chimmichuri sauce you’ll need;
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or as needed
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small white onion or shallot finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded finely chopped or 1/2-1 teaspoon of red chill flakes depending on your heat mileage
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar preferably
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 11/2 – 2 cups cooked plain white or brown rice, basmati preferably (keep warm) or cook about 1 cup raw rice as you would regularly do
For Tofu Tikka
- 1 block about 400 grams firm or extra firm organic tofu cut into one and half inch cubes ( this also works with other proteins, use cubed chicken breast/ any firm sustainable fish/ prawns)
- 1 tablespoon tandoori spice mix or Garam masala
- 2-3 tablespoons puréed tomatoes
- One tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek or plain plant yogurt
- Oil for brushing or use oil spray
- To grill veggies use any combination of contrasting colored veggies you have on hand
1 red & yellow pepper each, cut into same size as tofu
Brussels sprouts 8-10 preped
1-2 zucchini, cut into same size as tofu
- In a bowl mix red wine vinegar, sea salt, garlic, shallot, and jalapeño and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile if your rice is not cooked , steam the rice and shred the broccoli.
- Next stir in the cilantro, parsley, and oregano into vinegar mixture.
- Whisk the oil into this mixture.
- Once the rice is cooked add the finely chopped/ shredded broccoli and toss at least 1/2 cup of chimmichuri sauce into the rice mixture. Cover and keep warm. Serve the extra sauce on the side.
For the Tofu Tikka
- Whisk all the ingredient for the tofu in a bowl and marinate the tofu pieces for about 20-30 minutes.
- Lift and drain some of the marinade, brush or spray with a little oil and grill the pieces on a hot indoor or outdoor grill or frying pan for 2 minutes on each side till you get grill marks.
- Do the same with the veggies.
- If you prefer string them on skewers and grill them on a bbq. Both methods work. Serve on a bed of chimmichuri rice with extra sauce on the side.